Undoubtedly, vegetables and fruits contain a large amount of nutrients needed by the body. Making up the diet, it is important to take into account the state of health, because, despite the rich vitamin reserves, many products are contraindicated in certain diseases.
Chemical composition and caloric content of the product
Eat both root vegetables and the green part of celery, which contain:
- vitamins: A, B1, B2, B3, B5, B6, C, E, K,
- macro- and microelements: boron, calcium, chlorine, iron, magnesium, manganese, phosphorus, potassium, selenium, sulfur, zinc.
As well as amino acids, essential oils and fatty acids.
As for the chemical composition, detailed characteristics are shown in the table:
|Indicator||amountin 100 g of product|
|Alimentary fiber||1.8 g|
|Calorie content||13 kcal|
Useful and harmful properties of celery
Having a rich composition, the product has a number of useful properties:
- slows down the aging process
- has a calming effect
- stimulates the formation of gastric juice,
- activates water-salt metabolism,
- has anti-inflammatory properties,
- normalizes metabolism
- natural antiseptic,
- enhances sexual function.
- normalizes sleep.
Can I eat celery with pancreatitis
It is possible or not to eat celery in case of pancreatitis, the attending physician will certainly explain to the patient. Despite the unconditional healing, all components of the vegetable should not be consumed at the peak of acute pancreatitis. It includes:
- Active essential oils that increase pancreatic juice production and thus destroy the diseased pancreas.
- Dietary fiber, due to which bloating and diarrhea are difficult to treat.
There are some restrictions on the use of this plant with the following factors:
- diuretic drugs,
- last trimester of pregnancy
- breastfeeding period,
- epilepsy and other diseases of the central nervous system,
- stomach ulcer,
- individual intolerance to the constituent parts of the vegetable.
Acute and celery
When the acute period of the inflammatory process in the pancreas comes, the patient immediately has a lot of questions about the diet, banned and allowed products, whether celery can be used for pancreatitis.
On the first day of the pathological process, the patient should completely abandon food, drink non-carbonated water, then gradually enter into the menu lean soups, vegetable broths and fermented milk products. Now there can be no talk of celery, even as an ingredient in a dish.
Due to the presence of active ingredients, the product triggers digestion, the secretion of pancreatic enzymes, which loads the organ, causing more damage to the parenchyma. But in chronic pancreatitis, doctors are allowed to eat vegetables, but there are certain nuances.
Acute pancreatitis and celery
Celery is contraindicated during acute pancreatitis. Appearing abruptly, inflammation of the pancreas implies full starvation in the first days. It is allowed to use only ordinary water.
During the acute process, celery cannot be consumed completely, even in the composition of broths and soups.
Of course, in the acute stage, the vegetable is undesirable even in the composition of mashed soups. It forces the pancreas to produce additional enzymes, which negatively affects the cells of the organ. This worsens the course of the disease. The situation is similar with the exacerbation of chronic pancreatitis.
After the end of the acute inflammatory process, celery is allowed to enter into the diet. A decrease in inflammation is indicated by the cessation or perceptible abating of pain, the establishment of normal body temperature, the cessation of diarrhea.
Celery in the chronic process
Chronic pancreatitis is an inflammatory disease of the pancreas, characterized by periods of remission and exacerbation. It is impossible to recover from pancreatitis forever, but with a competent approach to treatment, it is possible to stop the illness and try to avoid exacerbation.
Much depends on the patient himself, because he has to keep his diet under control, lead a healthy lifestyle, try to eliminate negative factors. The basis for the treatment of pancreatitis is not only drug therapy, but also diet. A sick person has a fair question: what can one eat in order not to harm oneself?
Celery in the pancreas is resolved during the chronicle, but there are some limitations. For example, when a vegetable is banned in case of a disease recurrence, it is equated to an acute form of pathology. The product is allowed to eat 3-4 weeks after the disease subsides.
- eat fresh root
- make celery salad,
- drink celery juice for pancreatitis.
The doctor recommends such a food with a stable remission, when attacks of the disease have not been observed for a long time.
Celery lovers can cook dishes from it, it is useful to stew, bake, boil a vegetable, there are many ways to cook the root. But you should not add a lot of oil to the tuber and fry it in the pan, the product will lose almost all its beneficial properties and will not bring anything good to the body.
The best option is to eat boiled root, stewed or baked with other vegetables, add cauliflower, potatoes or zucchini. It is put in soups, due to the specific taste and aroma of the dish turns out to be unforgettably tasty.
We must not forget that the more heat treatment is carried out, the less vitamins and minerals remain in the vegetable.
Useful properties of celery
The nutritional value and health benefits of celery are well studied. It has been used in cooking and alternative medicine for centuries. Its regular use can protect the cardiovascular system. In addition, anti-inflammatory and antioxidant properties make it an ideal dish for patients with high cholesterol and blood pressure, as well as heart disease.
Vegetable is also good for skin, liver, eyes and cognitive health. Every part of the plant, including the stems, seeds and leaves, is edible and rich in nutrients. The vegetable is rich in vitamin B6, calcium, vitamin C, potassium, vitamin A, folate, vitamin K, fiber and protein.
The beneficial effect of celery on the body is:
- in the treatment of chronic diseases, including heart disease, cancer or arthritis, as well as those resulting from inflammatory processes,
- in the operational lowering of cholesterol,
- in reducing high blood pressure due to antihypertensive properties,
- in cleansing the liver and preventing its diseases,
- in accelerating lipid metabolism,
- in the treatment of bacterial infections, improving immunity and inhibiting the growth of bacteria,
- in improving the digestive system,
- in preventing the formation of ulcers in the mucous membrane of the digestive tract.
Can I use celery for pancreatitis and cholecystitis
Pancreatitis is a rather debilitating disease that can lead to intense pain and chronic malnutrition. Among the causes of pancreatitis are stones in the liver, alcoholism and others. To cope with pain and arrest the inflammatory process of the pancreas, painkillers and a diet low in fat and salt are necessary.
Consumption of vegetables rich in antioxidants is very useful for restoring pancreatic functions. In the typical list, all crucifers are usually marked: white cabbage, broccoli, cauliflower, Peking, watercress. Also, herbs that can relieve inflammation will not be redundant, among them are ginger, celery, cilantro, parsley, milk thistle, cinnamon, cardamom, dandelion. The consumption rate of such vegetables or herbs is about 100 g per day.
Celery and acute pancreatitis
Despite its many beneficial properties, all parts of celery are completely unacceptable at the peak of acute pancreatitis. After all, it contains:
- active essential oils that enhance the production of gastric and pancreatic juices, and, accordingly, support the destruction of the gland (especially the greens and stems are rich in them),
- dietary fibers that activate intestinal motility and promote bloating and heavy diarrhea (1.8 g per 100 g celery).
After subsiding, acute inflammation, as indicated by relief or significant reduction of pain, nausea with vomiting, normalization of temperature, improvement of stool, laboratory tests and an ultrasound picture, the patient is allowed to expand the diet. During this period of rehabilitation, you can try to include celery in pureed vegetable soups. After all, with full heat treatment (boiling), many substances lose their activity (including vitamins and essential substances).
In the acute stage of pancreatitis
In case of acute pancreatitis, the following recommendations should be followed:
- Use liquid: diluted bone broth, herbal tea, antioxidant extract.
- Be sure to exclude solid foods, sugar, protein, fatty foods for 3 days. Such products increase the load on the pancreas and aggravate the condition.
- Herbs are consumed in the form of tea or their juice is diluted with water.. It reduces inflammatory processes. To obtain juices use ginger, dandelion, cucumber, celery and cabbage.
Chronic pancreatitis and remission
Foods have a significant impact on the state of the body. This is especially important when the organ that produces digestive enzymes becomes inflamed. To help him recover, carefully select a diet. Patients who have a disease in the mild form or in the chronic stage, it is enough to follow the rules of the diet and the regimen prescribed by the doctor.
In the chronic stage of the disease is allowed to use:
- whole grains,
- beans, lentils,
- low-fat dairy products.
Cholecystitis is an inflammation of the gallbladder. The disease can be exacerbated by certain foods: fatty dairy products, fatty meats, and fried foods. Accompanied by pain and discomfort after eating. To determine the usefulness of the product in the diet of a patient with cholecystitis is the amount of fiber that it contains.
Her menu should be quite a bit, so nutritionists advise in a small amount to use beans, cabbage, cauliflower, broccoli and whole grain products that contain fiber. Celery is not listed in these foods, but it is not prohibited. Accordingly, it can be consumed without exceeding the norm of 100 g for anti-inflammatory vegetables.
How to choose celery
To buy fresh vegetables, choose solid, dense stems. Leaves should not be wilted. Their color is bright, green, not pale. Seeds are usually best bought whole. They are quite small and are used in cooking without grinding. To purchase a root, choose the sleekest one with the least amount of convex protrusions. This will reduce waste during cleaning. The root must be hard, hard, not spongy.
When celery is contraindicated
Celery oil and seeds are generally safe when taken orally. It is also safe to apply oil on the skin.
- However, it should not be used in the following cases:
- allergic reaction to celery,
- increased sensitivity to sunlight
- during pregnancy, so as not to provoke allergies, even if you have never had it. Also this vegetable can provoke uterine contraction and miscarriage,
- with violations of blood clotting, so as not to increase the risk of bleeding,
- kidney disease - it activates inflammation,
- low blood pressure - celery will further lower it,
- with the upcoming surgery - celery can react with drugs for anesthesia and slow down the nervous system.
Confirmed information about whether it is allowed to eat a vegetable during breastfeeding is not enough. In this regard, limit its use to no more than 100 g per day.
Celery in chronic pancreatitis
If you have chronic pancreatitis, celery can also be entered into the menu with caution. When the exacerbation of the chronic inflammatory process, it is desirable to exclude these herbs from food.
If the remission phase of chronic pancreatitis has occurred, then experts prescribe eating vegetables, including this one, even raw, using 100 g of celery root 2-3 times a day. It is assumed that this serves to prevent the occurrence of dysbiosis. In the period of remission of pancreatitis, it is desirable to eat stewed or baked vegetables. With this heat treatment, it retains almost all of its benefits and loses its negative impact.
Useful recommendations for use
In order to preserve celery for several days for eating, consider the following recommendations:
- Remove any discolored leaves.
- Leave the stems attached to the root until they are ready to use.
- Some recommend packing unwashed celery in polyethylene and washing it before use. Others insist on the need for washing. This suggests that you can safely use both methods.
- Celery can be stored in a container for vegetables in the refrigerator for 7–14 days, depending on the method used.
- Be sure to store it in the bottom of the refrigerator, away from excessive cold. Otherwise, it will freeze and freeze.
- Before use, cut the tip, rinse and cut into several pieces. Roots can be stored in polyethylene for up to 10 days.
- Store seeds in a sealed glass jar. Make sure the lid fits snugly. Do not forget to take into account the shelf life of spices.
Ultimately, controlling your diet is the best way to treat the pancreas and gallbladder. Therefore, no matter what stage the disease is in, be sure to minimize the burden on these organs.
Rules for choosing a quality product
When choosing a vegetable, first of all pay attention to its appearance. The stem and the green part should be bright green, without any damage and elastic to the touch. Celery with a vegetable arrow must be abandoned, as it will give the vegetable a peculiar bitterness. As for the root, it should be large, without putrefactive spots and soft spots.
Contraindications and possible side effects
There are a number of contraindications to the use of vegetables:
- diseases of the stomach, accompanied by an increase in acidity,
- pancreatitis and cholecystitis,
- varicose veins and thrombophlebitis,
- individual intolerance.
Thus, here is the answer to the question of whether celery can be eaten with pancreatitis, when and in what quantity. Follow the simple guidelines, and eating vegetables will bring maximum benefit to the body.
How to choose, use
You can buy celery in the form of tops, petioles or root. The maximum amount of useful components is contained in the leaves, in a good, fresh product there are many vitamins, it has a bright green color, a specific taste and aroma.
Choosing stems, it is necessary to pay attention to the color, the density of green, trying to tear one from the other, a characteristic crunch should appear. It is best to buy celery without a stem, or it can have a bitter aftertaste.
The root of the vegetable must be without visible damage, dense, medium size, since large tubers are more rigid. You need to store vegetables in a cool place, it may be the bottom shelf of a refrigerator or a cellar.
When chronicling pancreatitis, cholecystitis, diabetes, lacteal cancer and other related diseases, eat any part of the vegetable, the main condition - it must be fresh. If there are no contraindications, celery is used for the preparation of medicinal: decoctions, tinctures, rubbing.
It is useful to drink the juice from the celery stalks, it will not be superfluous to drink a couple of tablespoons of the drink every day during the chronicle, it is optimal to drink the juice before eating. No less useful and tasty will be a cocktail, the juice of fresh green beans with a mix of celery juice in a ratio of one to three.
By consuming celery juice, the patient seeks:
- repair damaged gland cells,
- relief of the inflammatory process,
- eliminate discomfort.
Fresh juice needs to be prepared at home, the course of therapy is at least two weeks. The recipe for making juice: take a couple of bunches of plant petioles, pass through a juicer, use in small sips.
You can also strain it through gauze, take it three times a day, one hour before meals.
Celery and chronic pancreatitis
In the case of chronic pancreatitis, vegetable pureed soup with celery is also allowed only during the period of subsiding exacerbation. In addition to the nutritional value of its fiber helps to eliminate constipation, which often replace diarrhea due to too gentle and wiped food.
Some doctors even allow their patients to eat raw celery (preferably root) 100 g three times a day in the phase of unstable remission of chronic pancreatitis. In their opinion, it prevents the formation of intestinal dysbacteriosis, and its fiber inhibits the excessive activity of enzymes of the recovering pancreas. However, this tactic has many opponents.
After the onset of sustained remission, celery can be eaten in baked and stewed forms. With its good tolerance, raw celery is allowed in salads and celery juice. In its natural form, it shows its healing effects most:
- increases AD with its low initial level (due to essential oils),
- possesses antimicrobial action (thanks to flavonoids),
- has anti-inflammatory and anti-aging effects (due to vitamins with antioxidant activity: C, E, A and substances - luteolin),
- protects against the formation of malignant atypical cells (the action of antioxidants and furanocoumarin),
- relieves internal tension, increasing overall vitality (due to essential oils, vitamin C),
- is an ancient aphrodisiac,
- prevents the retention of excess fluid (due to potassium),
- promotes weight loss (low calorie and fast saturation).
Maximum daily dose for chronic pancreatitis:
- aggravation phase - 200 - 300 g boiled or baked celery,
- phase of stable remission - 200 - 300 g (4 branches) boiled, baked, stewed or raw celery or 100 ml of squeezed celery juice from the green part (depending on individual tolerance).
- In acute pancreatitis - 200 - 300 g of boiled celery in the rehabilitation phase of the gland after the endured inflammatory process.
Estimation of celery suitability for use:
- in acute pancreatitis - +3 out of 10,
- with exacerbation of chronic pancreatitis - +5 out of 10,
- in the remission phase of chronic pancreatitis - +8 out of 10.
|Calorie content||13.0 kcal per 100 grams|
Compliance with diet for chronic pancreatitis: 8.0
A, B9, B6, B1, B2, E, C, beta carotene, PP
potassium, magnesium, phosphorus, iron, calcium, zinc, sodium
Recommended maximum portion of celery per day for chronic pancreatitis: phase of stable remission - 200 - 300 g (4 sprigs) boiled, baked, stewed or raw celery or 100 ml squeezed from the green part of celery juice (depending on individual tolerance).
How to choose a vegetable
The most useful properties for patients with pancreatitis is a vegetable grown on its own personal plot. In this case, the person knows for sure that celery does not contain pesticides and other chemical substances that poison the body as part of the green part. If it is not possible to grow a vegetable on its own, then when purchasing in a store or on a green market, you should pay attention to its commodity condition.
In high-quality celery, the stems are firm and elastic, white at the base, and green above. Also, the vegetable has a pleasant, special, peculiar only to him, flavor and specific taste properties. Preference is desirable to give fresh herbs, choose a vegetable with medium-sized roots (large ones have a high rigidity and therefore difficult to digest).
Vegetable must be kept in a dry and cool place. When cooking with celery when pancreatitis is prohibited to use any spices, garlic and a lot of salt.
Patients with pancreatitis can offer several interesting and simple dishes with this ingredient.
All you need are young vegetable stalks and a juicer. However, it should not be taken in unlimited quantities, 50-100 ml is enough 2 times a day, a quarter of an hour before meals. Course duration - 14 days. Next, go to another type of fitonapitka, for example, chamomile tea or a decoction of oats.
Half the zucchini and three potatoes are peeled and chopped into cubes, the onion and celery leaves are finely chopped. Vegetable stew is a steamed recipe, they eat all prepared vegetables individually steamed, since the duration of their preparation is significantly different. Then combine, shift into a saucepan and add beans (100 g), boiled until soft. Pour some hot water.
Separately prepare the sauce: a tablespoon of butter is ground with a tablespoon of flour, gradually pouring a glass of milk. Sauce pour the vegetables and spread in the oven for 10 minutes at 180 degrees. At the end of cooking add salt.
For celery, proper heat treatment is important, because at high temperatures many useful substances are destroyed.
Daily rate of celery
During the exacerbation of pancreatitis, it is desirable to eat no more than 200-300 g of the product in the form of pureed soup. Fiber has a wonderful effect on the intestines, if the patient has constipation. With this type of heat treatment, the essential substances disappear, and the gastric mucosa is not irritated.
When remission of pancreatitis should be eaten 200-300 g of celery in the food in the composition of the stew, soups, baked. You can also drink 100 ml of juice from its green part, but watching your well-being.
Celery in the acute stage of pancreatitis
During exacerbation of pancreatitis, all products that enhance the motor and secretory activity of the gastrointestinal tract organs are excluded from the diet. Celery at this time is not recommended because of the presence of a large amount of coarse fiber, which aggravates the condition of the sick person. Gas formation in the intestine increases, diarrhea develops.
In addition, due to the presence of essential oils in the use of celery increases the production of digestive juices: gastric, intestinal, pancreatic secretions, bile. In acute pancreatitis due to inflammation, pancreatic edema, outflow of juice produced by it into the duodenum is difficult. Increased production of enzymes leads to self-digestion of the gland, that is, to pancreatonecrosis. This is a life-threatening condition that will not go away on its own. If such a pathology is suspected, urgent consultation with the surgeon and, possibly, surgical intervention is necessary.
How to choose the greens
The most useful are vegetables grown independently in their garden, because in this case they do not contain anything harmful (fertilizers, pesticides and other chemicals that are toxic to the body).
If you can buy celery only in the store, then when choosing it you should follow a few rules:
- The color of the stems: white - at the base, light green in the rest. The leaves are green and green.
- Fresh, healthy herbs have a specific bright aroma and characteristic taste.
- Stems firm, dense to the touch. When they are separated from each other, a crunch is heard.
- Celery roots should not be large, as they are hard, poorly digested. When pancreatitis their use is undesirable.
- There should be no visible damage, signs of mold or rot on the roots, stalks.
- Vegetables should be stored properly - in a dry, cool place.
Celery Disease Use
An important condition for the use of this vegetable is its heat treatment. During processing, a small amount of vitamins is destroyed, but celery loses its harmful properties: vegetable fibers become soft, digest better in the digestive tract and do not provoke the development of flatulence, diarrhea. Dishes with celery are prepared in different ways:
- add it to the soup
- boiled with the subsequent grinding into small pieces or to a puree state,
- stewed with other vegetables,
- are steamed with a multivark or steamer,
- baked in the oven.
When cooking celery dishes for diseases of the gastrointestinal tract (gastritis, pancreatitis, cholelithiasis, cholecystitis) it is forbidden to use spicy seasonings, black pepper, garlic, a large amount of salt. Categorically you can not fry vegetables or bake until a crispy crust.
Raw celery, as well as its juice, is allowed to be consumed at the stage of long-lasting remission.
The recipe of the drink is very simple: it is made from young celery stalks using a juicer. Recommended to be diluted with juices of other vegetables: potato, carrot, pumpkin. Drink it only freshly squeezed. It is a healing drink, but it is allowed to drink it with a long absence of symptoms of diseases of the digestive system (stomach, intestines, gallbladder, pancreas, liver).