With diabetes, especially the second type, the patient is often forced to completely review the diet. He refuses many previously beloved products: provoking sharp jumps in blood glucose indicators, they have a bad effect on well-being and performance. Patients often want to know if sweet berries and fruits are indicated for diabetes: on the one hand, they contain a large amount of microelements and fruit acids that have a good effect on well-being, and on the other hand, a large number of simple quickly absorbed sugars that can provoke the mentioned jumps in glucose. Often patients are interested in whether it is possible to eat pineapple for this disease. Pineapple for type 2 diabetes: is it possible or not?
How to choose the right
Due to the fact that the plant grows in countries with other climatic conditions, the question arises of how to get healthy fruit. The answer is simple: a supermarket or a vegetable market. But, so that beneficial substances are maximally preserved in the fruit, you should be able to choose pineapples correctly:
Innovation in diabetes - just drink every day.
- The fruit should not be soft to the touch. Softness indicates the overripeness of the fruit and its staleness.
- The leaves of the fruit should be saturated color and elastic to the touch - this is another indicator of freshness.
- There should be no visible violations: cracks and breaks in the leaf part.
- Odor: tart sweet smell indicates an increased content of vitamin C.
The appearance of the fruit should be attractive and alluring. With prolonged storage, beneficial properties are lost, and the amount of sucrose increases. There will be no benefit from a stale fetus. Long-term storage of pineapple in the refrigerator is also unacceptable. The peeled and cut pieces in the air are oxidized, and the GI rises to an average of 100 units.
How much can you eat
Pineapple is a fruit permitted to diabetics, but in strictly limited quantities. Patients with an insulin-independent form of the disease are allowed to consume 200 g of pulp or juice daily. Patients with type 1 endocrine pathology - twice a week for 50 g. When using tropical fruit, one should not forget about taking medications, the necessary physical activity and a low-carb diet.
The pulp of the fruit is combined with other ingredients: fresh apples, watermelon, oranges, lemon and pomegranate. When eating fruit salad, a total calorie count should be made. Juice is used in its natural form without impurities.
An exotic plant rich in nutrients is not suitable for all citizens. So, categorically it is impossible to use pineapple for people with JAB or duodenal ulcer. Juice and pulp are contraindicated for pregnant women, patients with high acidity, diseases of the oral cavity and allergies.
Despite the positive properties, the exotic plant has some features of consumption.
With diabetes, one should not rely on the effectiveness of pineapple, because it does not eliminate the cause of the disease, and if used improperly, it can aggravate the course of the pathological process. Fruit therapy should be coordinated with a nutritionist or endocrinologist.
Diabetes always leads to fatal complications. Excessive blood sugar is extremely dangerous.
Aronova S.M. gave explanations about the treatment of diabetes. Read completely
What is useful pineapple
The most prominent factor providing the benefit of using this product is the high concentration of bromelain compounds, which are almost not found in other food products. This substance has the ability to accelerate metabolic processes, which determines the prevalence of the introduction of fruit into the diet for obese patients (regularly, but in small doses due to the high sugar content) and the creation of a large number of dietary supplements for weight loss containing this component. In addition, the substance also has some diuretic effect and helps the synthesis of the “hormone of happiness” serotonin.
In addition, the fetus contains a large amount of fiber, without which normal stool and healthy intestinal microflora are impossible. The pulp contains elements such as magnesium, potassium, a large amount of vitamins.
The effect of pulp on the body
The use of the fetus improves the course of a number of biochemical processes in the body:
- It helps strengthen the heart muscle and normalizes the frequency and strength of the heartbeat due to the trace element potassium, which is often important for a diabetic, because diseases of the cardiovascular system and diabetes go hand in hand,
- Prevention of the formation of atherosclerotic inclusions on the walls of blood vessels. Diabetic blood already moves through the vessels slower than the blood of a healthy person, and if the case is complicated by the presence of plaques, tissues and organs cannot receive oxygen and bioactive substances in a timely manner, which worsens the patient’s condition,
- Improving the blood supply to the brain contributes to a more productive intellectual activity and a better quality of life in general,
- The fetus lowers blood pressure somewhat
- Some anesthetic properties are relevant for painful menstruation and joint pain,
- High content of fruit acids, which have a tightening effect on the skin. Fruit extracts are used in cosmetology,
- Acceleration of metabolic processes, faster waste of energy from adipose tissue, which is often advisable for diabetics, since this disease and excess weight go hand in hand,
- Eating a fetus helps reduce swelling in diseases of the urinary tract.
Pineapple and diabetes
How recommended this or that product for diabetes is determined by the glycemic index, which shows how quickly sugars from the product are absorbed into the bloodstream compared with regular glucose. In fresh pineapple, this figure is 66 units, dangerously close to the category of foods with high values (70 and above), so the product can be recommended for inclusion in diabetic nutrition only from time to time in strictly limited dosages, and when using it, a number of precautionary measures. The index is slightly lower for orange juice, squeezed at home, and pineapples dried in a home oven. However, caution should also be exercised when using them, which is especially true for fresh: one glass is already as much as 200 ml. In no case should diabetes be consumed in store juices: they contain an overwhelming amount of extra sugar.
Slimming agent bromelain is best absorbed if pineapple products were taken on an empty stomach. But the insidious thing is that it is the fasting in its pure form (and not as part of salads, etc.) that leads to the highest glycemic activity. Therefore, obese people diagnosed with diabetes need to use the pulp of the fruit as part of dishes with unsweetened ingredients (for example, salads with chicken) and additionally take dietary supplements with bromelain, which are sold in most pharmacies.
A diabetic can eat up to 30 g of fruit pulp per day, in the form of cut pieces or as part of a salad, cottage cheese dessert or porridge. For dried fruits, the norms are approximately identical. Juice can be drunk in a dosage of not more than 100 ml per day, in no case on an empty stomach. It is preferable to drink it one hour after eating.
In some conditions of the body, the intake of the fetus is contraindicated. These include:
- Gastritis, gastric ulcer and, in general, all diseases that are associated with ulcerations of the gastrointestinal mucosa,
- High acidity of gastric juice,
- An allergic reaction to the fruit,
- Gestational diabetes in pregnant women.
Relative contraindications include problems with tooth enamel (fruit acids will corrode it, but the use of small amounts of pulp with porridge or salad is considered acceptable).
Allowed Pineapple Diabetic Dishes
It is preferable for diabetics to use pulp in the composition of dishes in order to reduce the jump in sugar after eating. The following dishes can be prepared:
- Dessert from mashed acidic cottage cheese: 20 g of pulp and 20 g of kefir are added to 100 g of lactic acid product, stirred until smooth,
- Pulp jam without added sugar. For a pound of chopped pulp, take one and a half glasses of water and cook over medium heat until smooth. For a while, you can add a teaspoon of the sugar substitute indicated by your doctor. After removal from the fire, the jam reaches for two to three hours under a closed lid. You can use it at 20-30 g per day, spreading on bread or adding to the above dessert instead of raw pulp,
- For drying at home, the pineapple is peeled and cut into rings or small slices. They should not be too thin. The oven is heated to approximately 70 degrees. In a preheated oven place a baking sheet with pieces laid out on foil or parchment. The drying process takes an average of about a day, but a more accurate duration depends on the thickness of the fruit. Every few hours you need to check the condition of the pieces,
- Chicken Salad. Cut the boiled breast into cubes, add the pulp of fruit, garlic and chopped salted gherkins. You can also put feta cheese. To consume in such a quantity so as not to exceed the allowable daily dose of fruit,
- Fruit salad: green sour apple, cherry, diced pineapple, walnuts. Cut and mix the ingredients. You can eat 30-50 g of salad per day. It should not be consumed with high acidity,
- Pieces of pulp can be added to cereals (millet, oat, rice and others) after removing from heat, taking care not to exceed the recommended intake.
In general, the use of the fetus is indicated for patients with diabetes, subject to careful attention to grammar and regimen. To improve metabolic processes, patients with obesity are also recommended an additional intake of capsules with bromelain.